While we’re all anxiously awaiting part 2 of my Marketing guide (so much has come up to share lately!), I thought I’d make a quick post to address one of the most common questions I come across in WooThemes Support – “How do I add CSS to my theme?”
What You Need
- A WordPress Installation
- My recommended plugin of choice, Simple Custom CSS
- Some CSS you want to apply
Why You Need It
You’re probably wondering why this is necessary – with WordPress, there’s a half dozen ways to achieve anything, especially something as quick and dirty as adding CSS. With this method though, you take advantage of a few benefits:
- The code will not be overwritten when you update your theme (though you should be using a Child Theme anyway, hint hint).
- The code doesn’t require a child theme (should you not need one) or a specific function to call in a new sheet.
- The code is neatly stored in the plugin, so when you DO update your child theme you know exactly what it is you need to add.
Video: How to Quickly Add CSS to your WordPress Website
Not too keen on video tutorials? Me either to be honest, so here’s a quick step-by-step!
- Install Simple Custom CSS
- Navigate to Appearance > Custom CSS
- Enter the required CSS in the field, replacing the blank content that is there by default. Save.
After that, you should be good to go!
Have any questions or comments about this article, or ways you think it can be improved?
Join the conversation in the comments below, or sign up for my newsletter to recieve periodic updates!